Whit Stillman was recently interviewed by the Rotten Tomatoes Podcast. The interview primarily deals with his new Amazon show The Cosmopolitans. Whit Stillman states on twitter that seven more scripts have been ordered by Amazon. In the meantime take a listen to the podcast.
Eigeman talks about his work on Stillman’s films, his taste in music, his directing/writing projects and how he is working on a horror film. He also reveals that the scene where he is convincing Tom that he may be the downtrodden, was his first time on camera.
The Official PodCast has updated their Whit Stillman interview:
PRESENTED IN MONO
Update: on 4/11/2014 3pm CST we updated the audio and file format so the interview now is all on one file and no longer split into two parts. Also EQ’d the sound to make it more listenable. Thank you!
Stillman talks about:
- Ice cream sandwiches (yes, he does)
- TV and how he may be going into that arena soon
- His use of social media
- How Metropolitan played for seven months in NYC
- 1/3 of Metropolitan’s gross came from Manhattan
- Why he chose Chicago as the hometown of Ted
- The location of the lake at the end of the film
- His love of Lake Shore Drive
- The self help books in Barcelona and how a studio head helped keep their significance in the film
- Stanley Kubrick’s love of Barcelona and how Kubrick wanted to know more about John Thomas’ cinematography
- How a shot in Eyes Wide Shut is similar to one in Barcelona
- Stillman’s advice on who you should listen to when writing a script
- How the G and H in The Last Days of Disco are gonorrhea and herpes and not HIV like some people have speculated on the internet
- Lastly he talks about Evelyn Waugh
The Official Podcast has done an interview with one of my favorite actors, Taylor Nichols. Please check it out. He of course has been in every Whit Stillman film.