Writer/director Whit Stillman released his first film way back in 1990, at the dawn of the modern independent film movement. That means he arrived on screen before Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarantino, Richard Linklater, Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze and a lot of other guys more famous than him. So why haven’t you heard of Whit Stillman?
Maybe it’s because, in the past 22 years, he’s released only four movies. Or maybe it’s because those movies, while very good, aren’t what you’d call crowd pleasers — at least not your average multiplex crowd. But two of Stillman’s movies have just been re-released on Blu-ray by Criterion, and together, they’re the perfect introduction to his work.
- Mary on Hot Off the Press: Whit Stillman is Heading to Cannes to Hold Meetings for His Next Project
- Eric Burritt on Unofficial ‘Damsels in Distress’ Music Video
- Noelle on Unofficial ‘Damsels in Distress’ Music Video
- Noelle on Can a Cup of Coffee With Whit Stillman Change Hans Morgenstern’s Mind About “Damsels” (Part 1)?
- M. Donehoo on Another ‘Damsels in Distress’ roundup